5' cap structures

MFREIS at NOMVS.LSUMC.EDU MFREIS at NOMVS.LSUMC.EDU
Thu Jul 8 22:18:00 EST 1993

This is in reply to the July 7 message from Elizabeth (fzestabr).
By the way, I have been sending messages for a little while but keep
forgetting to give my name--Marion Freistadt, currently
at LSU Medical Center in the egregious city of New
Orleans.
OK.  My PhD thesis consisted of determining the
5' cap structure for the African trypanosome.
As you say in your message, it's not easy.
I did it the hard way--metabolic labelling
with 32P, purification of the cap-containing
oligonucleotide and subsequent chromatographic
analysis.  It's possible, and I'll be glad to
tell you more.
Other people worked on the same cap, using
TAPase, then some chemistry (Idon't have the papers here
but I can get them) to reduce and label with
3H.  Still a little tricky.  REf--Borst et all, ??1985,
Nucleic Acids Research.
Another group studied the cap structures in
C. elegans (because of the trans-spliced leader).
Tom Blumenthal at Bloomington IN. Cold Spring Harbor RNA processing,
meeting, 1988.  They used antitri-methyl cap antibodies,
periodate (Ithink-           Idon't have the papers herebut they may have used mono-methyl cap antibodies as controls.
I will also be at ASV in Davis.
You may have missed it, but there is talk on this
network of meeting face to face at ASV.
There should be some announcements or notices for
beer,etc.
See you there.