plant viral receptors

MFREIS at NOMVS.LSUMC.EDU MFREIS at NOMVS.LSUMC.EDU
Thu Jul 8 21:14:00 EST 1993

This is in response to a June 25 message from Ed Rybicki.
You asked whether non-insect borne plant viruses have receptors.
Are Viroids insect born?
Are Viroids insect borne? I think that plant viruses in general require a
physical introduction in the plant cell.  Especially cause
of the cell wall?  It's not really my area, but you asked if any
one cares.  I though that some plant viruses--robinia mosaic
virus, e.g.--use ribosomal proteins to uncoat.
Uncoating is an important part of virla receptor function.
Ref--J. gen Virol. (1989) 70, 2271-2277.
One has to define receptor, because in a sense,
any host molecule that gets usurped by a viral molecule is acting as a receptor
.
If you want to specify cell surface receptors,
it seem plant viruses don't have them (so far).