ditto about hantaviruses. Also, grad students

MFREIS at NOMVS.LSUMC.EDU MFREIS at NOMVS.LSUMC.EDU
Thu Aug 19 14:15:00 EST 1993

I am also very interested in any updates
about hantaviruses.  However, I am more interested
in the Four Corners Virus.  THis is because I live
in Louisiana and there was arecent report (within the last
week) that a man in Monroe, LA died from the same virus.
I, of course, am not panicked; rather this may be a research possibility.
How widespread is it?
Is CDC surveying the South?
How specific are the probes?
Ha a virus been purified?
Has  virus been purified?A different topic---
As a new faculty member, I am concerned about
getting grad students.  Our department has
traditionally had difficulty attracting good students.  I know
everyone has the same complaint, but can anybody forward some tips on
recruiting and attracting grad students.
I've often wondered why academic institutions don't
use the system that hospitals use for selecting
residents--a computerized prioritizied matching
system.  This could be instituted at all levels--
Entering grad school, post-doc and junior faculty hunts.