RECEPTORS

PAB6DC at VAX.BIO.LEEDS.AC.UK PAB6DC at VAX.BIO.LEEDS.AC.UK
Mon Aug 2 11:50:13 EST 1993

Not much out there on plant virus receptors, it seems.....

Gildow's work using EM seems to be the only good evidence around
that plant viruses can travel through insect cells by what
looks like receptor mediated endocytosis (strictly transcytosis).
Like the geminiviruses, they (probably) do not replicate in the
insect vector. This kind of thing must happen elsewhere - do any animal
viruses move through cells, rather than just into them? What about other,
strictly insect viruses? How do they get in - especially how do they get
through the gut wall before infecting cells within the host?

Seems to me us plant virologists could learn from our animal
counterparts - or are animal viruses just brutes which get
in any way they can and kill....

David Coates
THE University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT