viral pathogenesis

Chris Upton cup at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca
Sun Aug 1 15:22:45 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul30.141357.12888 at Virginia.EDU>, mgk2r at Virginia.EDU
("Michael G. Kurilla") wrote:

> I have recently have gotten hooked into these forums and I am
> impressed with the range of topics.  The virology group is a
> particular interest since I work on EBV (Epstein-Barr virus).
> I am most interested in aspects of viral pathogenesis.  While
> this touches (alot) on immunology, the mainstream immunologists
> seem to ignore anything that happens from the viral end beyond
> the generation of peptide epitopes.  Therefore this group seems
> most appropriate.  Since viruses appear to have figured out the
> most feasible ways of doing things, lessons from other viral
> systems would probably be instructive to all.  Is there
> interest out there for people thinking out loud about these
> issues?

Sure is! I'm interested in poxviruses..... another bunch of big guys. These
viruses have a variety of methods for countering the immune system. Most
recently I've been looking at proteins secreted from infected cells. These
include virally encoded proteins that block, TNF and IFN-gamma of the host.

Chris Upton
University of Alberta

As of Sept 1st 1993,  cupton at sol.uvic.ca
Department of Biochemistry & Microbiology
University of Victoria
PO BOX 3055, Victoria
BC V8W 3P6
Canada