toxicology of CN-

Eli Lilly and Company rosshaynes at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:34:11 EST 1999

Your second assertion I believe was the correct one.  OP inhibitors such as
CN- prevent the reduction of O2 to H2O traditionally viewed as the "last
step" in the ETC.  This backlog in e-'s effectively shuts down the entire
ETC b/c if the redox potential of the last cyt/prot transfer is messed up,
the rest of the ETC will not be able to shuttle electrons or pump H+'s
accross the inner mito. mb.
Hope that helps,
Cheers
RH