IUBio

Earthworm toxicity

Antonio aq12 at cornell.edu
Thu May 21 08:23:22 EST 1998

I am using earthworms (E. foetida) to examine availability and
toxicity of soils with various oil fractions.  In preliminary 7-day
assays I have not found mortality even at rather high concentrations.
However, I have seen what appear to be some dark markings (spots
or pores) on the clitella of some worms.  The apperance of these
spots was not dose-dependent.  If someone has similar observations
I'd appreciate some coments on what this could be.

My preliminary assay was to check mortality alone but a more
refined endpoint may be appropriate.  Does anyone have
suggestions?  I am considering weight changes or burrowing time
into a clean soil.

Thanks

Antonio Quiñones