I'm no toxicologist, but I can imagine at least one reason why an antivenom
may only be used once. I would imagine that both the toxin and antitoxin
are proteins, and as such, would be capable of generating an immune
response. Perhaps the antitoxin is capable of generating an anaphylactic
reaction, similar in nature to the reactions bee stings can elicit in some
people. If this were the case, then repeated exposure to antitoxin would be
Demosthones wrote in message <34F231C0.1752 at sprintmail.com>...
>I need some help here with a quite vexing query into the nature of the
>antivenom used to treat black widow spider bites. I have been informed
>that one may only recieve this antivenom once in one's life, and I was
>wondering if any toxicologists could tell me if this is in fact true,
>and if so, why the antivenom can only be administered once. Please
>email me with any help you can give. Thanx!