Ethylene dichloride or Vinyl chloride monomer

Paul Larkin larkin at wco.com
Thu Mar 6 14:00:10 EST 1997

Not having the reference before me, I am only pretty sure that by "ethylene
dichloride" is meant the IUPAC (better) name 1,2-Dichlorethane (a.k.a.
"DCE"), and I seem to remember that steric limitations caused by the size
of the Chloride ion prevent double-bond (ethene) formation.  So on that
assumption:
DCE is on  EPA volatile toxic compounds lists, has been for a long time.
Volatile means the temperature at which it evaporates is lower than
"normal" (~20 deg. C) temperatures, and it can cause problems when inhaled
as well as ingested and absorbed.
Rather than give (possibly wrong) info, go to:  Baselt, R.:  "Disposition
of Toxic Drugs and Chemicals in Man."  There's a recent edition out, but
older editions are fine for info on this compound.  It is one of the most
complete references and should answer most of your questions.  If you are
not near a university (go to their chemistry library, or medical library),
try the county/local public health department, or call the nearest poison
control center (state right off that you do NOT have an emergency, and that
you require some info).

--
Paul