glutaraldehyde

Paul Whitehead p.whitehead at dial.pipex.com
Mon May 13 06:36:22 EST 1996

ed.lincoln at quest-net.com.(ed at quest-net.com (Ed.lincoln at quest-net.com
(ed) wrote:

>From: ed.lincoln at quest-net.com (Ed Lincoln)
>Newsgroups: bionet.toxicology
>Subject: glutaraldehyde
>Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 21:43:13 GMT

>How do the toxicologests feel about this at .04 ppm level?
>http://www.quest-net.com/l_tech
>Find or search at "Indoor Air Quality"

This is 5 times below the Maximum Exposure Limit set in the UK (0.2
ppm).  UK legislation requires that control of exposure to a substance
with an MEL shall only be regarded as adequate if the level is reduced
as far as is reasonable practical and in any case below the MEL.
There is considered to be a residual risk at the MEL, and control of
exposure to respiratory sensitisers should be as tight as possible.
While 0.04 ppm is below the MEL, I would make sure that this is the
lowest practical exposure and that other measures to reduce exposure
were not possible.  Adverse health effects have been seen at exposures
below 0.2 ppm (see Norback D, Scan J Work Environ Health, 1988, vol
14, 366 - 71)

The NTP are currently conducting an inhalation tumorigenicity study in
rats.

Paul Whitehead BSc CBiol MIBiol DABT
United Kingdom
e-mail p.whitehead at dial.pipex.com