ABI 377 vs. 3.0 trace file display problems on trev

Andy Law Andy.Law at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 03:40:17 EST 1997

In article <9704110930.AA02201 at arran>, jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk (James
Bonfield) wrote:

 >  Isn't there an implementation of the Unix sum command (either BSD or SysV
 >  varient) on a Mac? Alternatively, but a lot more work, use a standard
 >  program (pgp or whatever) that provides a message hashing function.
"Sum" is
 >  easiest. Then it'd be trivial to know whether the files really have
 >  transferred correctly. The vast majority of trace file problem reports we
 >  receive are due to bad transfers.

There are checksum programs around. Don't know what the implementation is.
In any case, it isn't too hard to code a trivial one for this purpose. In
fact, when I get the time (and when Bob comes back from holiday) we can do
most of the checking just on the Mac end since tar-ing and then detar-ing
seems sufficient to trash some files (ie no file transfer necessary). I'll
keep you posted.

Andy Law