C3C4

David Alan Walker d.a.walker at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 10:41:34 EST 2003

Long, long ago, Gerry Edwards and I wrote a book called ëC3C4í. The dust
cover was illustrated with a picture of two Atripex leaves, one C3 the
other C4. Sadly the publisher (Blackwells)  forgot to say what the
illustration was (and what was worse most of the books were accidentally
trashed but thatís another story). Nor did they give the names of the
two Atriplex species.

Right now the time has come for a big clear out of the Walkerís garage.
A laborious and doleful process made worse by the discovery of old
photographs that ought to have been thrown away long since, except that
we didnít have the heart to do it.

However, to get to the point, I found, with a glad cry, the original
photograph for the dust cover of C3C4 and, marvel of marvels, also came
across the names of the two species (Atriplex rosea and Atriplex
hastata).

We had killed their (pre-illuminated) leaves, extracted their
chlorophyll, and stained with iodine for starch. Readers of plant Ed
will know which is which, at a glance, if they care to download said
photograph now at

http://www.oxygraphics.co.uk/atst.gif

But perhaps not all of their students will if you test their knowledge
by asking. Conversely, someone really smart (you might even think too
smart) might quote:-

"You might just as well say," added the Dormouse who seemed to be
talking in his sleep "that 'I breathe when I sleep' is the same thing as
'I sleep when I breathe'!"

and the title of a seminal letter to Nature entitled;-_

ìKranz anatomy is not essential for terrestrial C4 plant photosynthesisî

 (By Elena V. Voznesenskaya Vincent R. Franceschió, Olavi Kiirats

Helmut Freitag&hibar; & Gerald E. Edwards NATURE  414, 29 543-546)

With apologies,
David

>From David Walker, FRS., Emeritus Professor of Photosynthesis,
University of Sheffield, UK.