ABT article

Bill Purves purves at THUBAN.AC.HMC.EDU
Thu Feb 15 18:16:50 EST 2001

Jim Perry suggested:

>So my thoughts are, what about if they were able to take a digital picture
>of THEIR slide or specimen, print it (color = $) and then label it, and
>describe in writing what the differences are between what they have seen and
>what's in their book?
>
>Do you think this would cause them to look more closely at their own
>specimens

Yes
Especially if they take just a bit of care to make sure that the
photo image adequately represents what they see under the microscope
or in the lab or field.

>and would it increase the learning experience?

YES

>They like technology, so would this play into our hands without
>them realizing it?

YES!

Nondogmatically yours,

(bill)

p.s. Seriously--this strikes me as something very well worth
trying.  You've indicated flaws in what was being done before,
and you've come up with something very promising.  And,
thinking of $, you'll surely have other good uses for that
digital camera...

William K. Purves      Vice President/Editorial Director
The Mona Group LLC                     West Coast Office
2817 N. Mountain Avenue              phone: 909.626.4859
Claremont, CA 91711-1550               fax: 909.626.7030
              e-mail: purves at monagroup.com
  http://www.biology.hmc.edu/people/faculty/purves.html
                http://www.monagroup.com

---