Nobel Laureates

Dave Husic husicd at lafcol.lafcol.lafayette.edu
Tue Nov 30 07:26:03 EST 1993

> Subject: Nobel prize winners in photosynthesis
>
> Dear readers of the photosynthesis list,
>
> Can somebody please tell me how many Nobel prizes have been awarded in the past
> to scientists in photosynthesis research, and give me the names and dates?
> I would like to use this information in a popular scientific article about
> photosynthesis research which I am currently writing.
>
> Thank you very much for your efforts, Alex Angerhofer.

Govindjee responded with a list of names, and approximate dates.  I list
below recipients of the Chemistry prize with work related to plant
science (loosely defined), and the years of the awards.  Short summaries of
their work can be found in a new book published by the Am. Chem. Soc.,
"Nobel Laureates in Chemistry 1901-1992", Laylin James, ed.

Richard Martin Willstatter - 1915 - structural studies of Chlorophyll

Paul Karrer - 1937 - characterization of carotenoids and other plant pigments

Artturi Virtanen - 1945 - N assimilation in root nodules

James Sumner - 1946 - studies of jack bean urease

Wendell Stanley - 1946 - studies of tobacco mosaic virus

Robert Robinson - 1947 - studies of plant natural products, especially
alkaloids

Melvin Calvin - 1961 - the path of carbon in photosynthesis

Luis Leloir - 1970 - carbohydrate biosynthesis in plants and animals

Peter Mitchell - 1978 - chemiosmotic theory

Hartmut Michel, Johann Deisenhoffer, Robert Huber - 1988 - crystal
structure of photosynthetic reaction center

Who will be next?

Dave Husic-
Lafayette College