Registration is open for the course "INTRODUCTION TO GEOMETRIC MORPHOMETRICS- 8th edition".
INSTRUCTORS: Prof. Chris Klingenberg (University of Manchester, UK) and Dr. Jesús Marugán (UAM, Spain).
Dates: January 9th-13th, 2017.
Place: Banff Center, Alberta, Canada (https://www.banffcentre.ca/)
More information and registration: http://www.transmittingscience.org/courses/geometric-morphometrics/introduction-geometric-morphometrics-canada/
This course is entitled to teach the main concepts of shape analysis based on landmark coordinates and its multivariate procedures, and how they can be put
into practice across any biological discipline in which the phenotype (form) and its variation are the principal sources of information.
1. Introduction: Shape, size and biological morphology.
2. Morphometric data: Equipment, landmarks, outlines and surfaces.
3. Visualizing shapes and shape changes.
4. Looking at variation: PCA.
5. Distinguishing groups: CVA and discriminant analysis.
6. Symmetry and asymmetry.
7. Morphometrics in a messy world: outliers and measurement error.
8. Regression and allometry.
9. Covariation between things: PLS.
10. Morphological integration.
12. Phylogeny and comparative methods.
13. Putting things together: Combining analyses to solve biological questions.
14. Presentation of group work by participants.
Please feel free to distribute this information between your colleagues if you consider it appropriate.
With best regards
Soledad De Esteban-Trivigno
Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafont (ICP)
Campus de la Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Cerdanyola del Vallès (Barcelona). Spain