DMSO - PCR

David Horner dsh at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 11:14:44 EST 1999

("Alberto M. R. Davila - DBBM") wrote

I heard DMSO may be needed to amplify some genes by PCR, I am not sure if
it works avoiding secondary structure formation and/or to lower melting
temperature.... but my question is : is there another thing that could
replace DMSO in a PCR reaction ?

I would suggest using Acetamide which seems to produce similar results to
DMSO, but is non toxic to the polymerase at higher concentrations. Try 2%,
5%, 7% and 10% weight to volume for the whole reaction. I make a 50%
weight:volume stock in water which I filter sterilise. This has proved
helpful in several primer/template combinations although you may have to
re-optimise the annealing temperature.

David