What is bever fever?

Dr. Peter W. Pappas pappas.3 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 22 05:01:08 EST 1999

Giardiasis (the disease caused by Giardia lamblia) is commonly referred to
as "beaver fever," since some believe that beavers serve as a reservoir for
this parasite.  The parasite is transmitted via fecal material, not urine,
and it can cause severe gastrointestinal problems in humans.  "Do not drink
the water" is probably good advice, but this should include any water of
unknown origin since the parasite is ubiquitous.