What is bever fever?

James Mahaffy mahaffy at dordt.edu
Wed Apr 21 22:33:43 EST 1999

Folks,

I asked students in a non major class to post to an internal newsgroup
and one of them asked about bever fever in Canada.  It sounds a bit like
Giardia or is there something else that humans tend to pick up from
bever.

If someone knows I would like to post the response back to the class.
--
James Mahaffy (mahaffy at dordt.edu)      Phone: 712 722-6279
Biology Department                     FAX :  712 722-1198

bcc to student.

Around where I live in Canada when we go swimming we are sometimes told
not to swim in ponds or small lakes that beavers have been in, they tell
us that we'll get "beaver fever" if we accidently drink the water.  And
last year our city had a "beaver fever" epidemic and no one who lived in
town could drink their water.  They told us it was from beaver's urine,
and it made people sick.  People got diarrhea and very upset stomachs.
What is this really and are there more causes than just beaver urine?
--
A Student in biology