references

Joan Marie Shields jshields at taurus.oac.uci.edu
Fri Apr 16 15:01:47 EST 1999

David S. Lindsay <lindsayd at vt.edu> wrote:
>Joan Shields list of "references" points out a big problem with the
>literature on Giardia and Cryptosporidium. Finding Cryptosporidium
>oocysts or Giardia cysts in water does not demonstrate that these are
>infectious to humans. Unless molecular characterizartions are done that
>can implicate human strains of the parasites are present, then  the
>"finding" of these oocysts/cysts in water samples is virtually
>meaningless.

Actually, one of the papers does specifically mention finding
Cryptosporidium parvum in seawater and oysters.  C. parvum is
indeed a species that is pathogenic to humans.  Perhaps a
closer reading of the articles themselves might be useful?

Most of my work has centered on Cyclospora cayetanensis (methods
for detection is surface waters)  - I have had to look at Giardia
and Cryptosporidium detection for some background information.

joan
--
Joan Shields       jshields at uci.edu       http://www.ags.uci.edu/~jshields
University of California - Irvine         School of Social Ecology