Cyclospora cayetanenis

Joan Marie Shields jshields at taurus.oac.uci.edu
Fri Apr 16 09:55:09 EST 1999

<yersina at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Acied-fast staining of feces can be used to demonstrate oocysts from
>cyclospora(and also cryptosporidium that typically are smaller in size).
>As I understand Cyclospora is basically affects the jejunum an the small
>bowel. I am wondering how Cyclosporea looks like in other stages than
>the oocosysts form. In my Atlas of Human Parasitology (4-the edition Ash
>and Orihel) I only find pictures of the oocysts form. Dose anybody have
>a reference to any literature describing (or even better with pictures)
>of how it looks like in other stages (found in the jejunum)?

First - you're better off using a modified trichrome staining method
since the acid-fast is often very inconsistant.

Second: "Identification of Intracellular Stages of Cyclospora species by
Light Microscopy of Thick Sections Using Hematoxylin"
Tran Van Nhieu, J. et al. Human Pathology 27(10):1107-1109

joan

--
Joan Shields       jshields at uci.edu       http://www.ags.uci.edu/~jshields
University of California - Irvine         School of Social Ecology