Spam in bionet.* (was 'Premium TV Channels....')

Bob McClenon mcclenon at erols.com
Thu Apr 15 09:25:15 EST 1999

In article <7esgdd$3rm$1 at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
  "Dr. Peter W. Pappas" <pappas.3 at osu.edu> wrote:
> Are we going to get a moderator for this news group?
>
> boke58 at cnv.es wrote in message <7es4r5$6lc$1 at mserv2.dl.ac.uk>...
> >To be removed from our mailing list please call toll free
> >800-242-0363 ext.2748
> >
> >This is really cool!
> >

> >            PREMIUM CHANNELS........Descrambled!
> >

> >EASY to assemble plans for only $6.00 !

There are two ways that you could control the spam that is being posted in
the bionet.* newsgroups.  The first way, as you suggest, would be moderation.
The second way would be less restrictive.  The spam that is being posted in
the bionet.* newsgroups is mail spam that is being posted to news via the
mail-to-news gateways.  It could be restricted by changing the
mail-to-news gateway so that it only accepts mail from registered
subscribers to the mailing list.  That wouldn't prevent all off-topic
commercial posts.  However, the off-topic commercial posts in the bionet.*
newsgroups are mostly mail spam.

     --   Bob McClenon