references

racole racole at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Thu Apr 15 14:49:49 EST 1999

I agree with Dr. Lindsay.  I am not aware of references on surveys of
back country waters and prevalence of Crypto or Giardia.  We have always
scared people with the threat of getting "beaver fever" etc, however,
the literature that I am familiar with does not support this apparent
overblown concern.  All that I am familiar with are case reports where
someone has been backpacking and later developed clinical signs of
infection with Crypto or Giardia folllowed by finding oocysts or cysts
in the feces.  How many refs do you have of sampling  free ranging
wildlife or remote waterways?
Dr. Rebecca Cole