Microsporidium

Judy/Bob Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Tue Apr 13 15:30:02 EST 1999

Our lab uses calcofluor staining to look, I should say "screen"  for
Microsporidia.  We had a positive patient last year.  He was loaded with
them. They fluoresce quite well but our procedure says to coverslip and
leave the calcofluor on for 30 minutes before looking in the scope.  We
did have to send slides to a reference lab, however, for confirmation
with modified trichrome. We have some positive controls; if you need any
email me directly.  Our previous Ph.D. was BIG into calcofluor and did
some of the original work on it.  I realize this doesn't help you with
your trichrome question, however.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology