IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Where to study

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at IUPUI.EDU
Mon Feb 2 08:54:15 EST 1998

Graduate schools are for academic study and scientific research.  The degree
to which the program is geared toward more practical or applied questions,
does differ somewhat between schools, but most truely applied aspects of a
discipline begin after qualifying or training phases of the career.  For
direct treatment of human infections with parasites, you might consider
clinical training (an M.D., usually with residency in pediatrics, since
parasitic infections favor the young, or a D.V.M. for animals).  A
compromise might be a graduate program in a medical or veterinary school,
which has a more clinical emphasis than in liberal arts colleges.  If by
"applied", you mean both non-laboratory and non-clinical, but with a
possible impact on parasiteic diseases, you might consider a Public Health
degree, which evaluates the importance of diseases and considers alternative
interventions.  Berkeley, Michigan, Tulane, Harvard, and many other
universities have excellent Public Health programs; many of these overlap
their Parasitology and/or Tropical Disease programs.

Good luck!

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.

At 09:07 AM 1/31/98 -0600, Lori wrote:
>Thanks to everyone who responded to my rather vague query!
>Could anyone tell me a little more about applied parasitology? I think
>up until
>now I have only been looking at grad schools in terms of academic /
>Thanks again,
Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
635 Barnhill Dr., MS A128
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5113
Ph 317-274-2651; FAX 317-278-0643
e-mail:  gmclaugh at iupui.edu

More information about the Parasite mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net