Viruses that infect parasites

Graham Clark graham.clark at LSHTM.AC.UK
Wed Apr 8 03:55:06 EST 1998

There are lots of viruses or virus-like particles reported from =

parasitic protozoa but most do not appear to damage the cells as =

far as we can see. (These include the Giardia, Trichomonas, =

Leishmania, Eimeria, Plasmodium, etc. viruses.) One exception is in
Entamoeba histolytica where several transmissible, lytic viruses
were reported in a series of at least seven papers and a review in =

the 1970's. The review is by Diamond et al 1976 Protozoal viruses. =

Adv. Virus Res. 20: 87-112. There were three morphologically
distinct virus-like particles described and they appeared to have  =

double stranded nucleic acid genomes. (Most protozoal viruses appear to
have double stranded RNA genomes.) Nothing has been done on the =

Entamoeba viruses since the late 1970's.

With regard to Rhabdoviruses, these have also been described from =

Entamoeba. I have temporarily placed an electron micrograph of what
appears to be one on the Entamoeba website. I would appreciate comments
from any virologists on its identification and also any suggestions
for how I might go about purifying them for further study - they appear =

to be 'exiting' into the culture medium but are probably low in number.

The EM is found at:

http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/mp/bcu/enta/virus.gif

(TEM courtesy of Dr. Arturo Gonzalez-Robles, CINVESTAV-IPN, Mexico City)

Graham
-- =

C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases,
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine,
Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, England, G.B.

Tel: ++44-171-927-2351
FAX: ++44-171-636-8739
e-mail: g.clark at lshtm.ac.uk
Homepage: http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/mp/bcu/enta/mpvbgcla.htm

Please visit the Entamoeba Homepage -
http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/mp/bcu/enta/home.htm
=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=
=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00=00