enough is enough (G. Lauritch)

Omar O. Barriga barriga.2 at osu.edu
Fri May 30 15:13:56 EST 1997

In article <338C9EF3.79C6 at netmatters.co.uk> Andrew Fell <ahfell at netmatters.co.uk> writes:
>From: Andrew Fell <ahfell at netmatters.co.uk>
>Newsgroups: bionet.parasitology
>Subject: Re: enough is enough (G. Lauritch)
>Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 14:09:07 -0700

>Dr. Gary Conboy wrote:
>>
>> There has been quite a discussion this month concerning "alternative" medicine
>> and "novel" diagnostic methodology.  Personnally, I would be very disappointed
>> if this type of discussion predominated in this group every month.  However, I
>> have found it informative (and horrifying).  One of the attractions this group
>> holds for me is the curious mix of backgrounds of the participants covering
>> the spectrum from high school students to PhDs.

>I agree. These discussions aren't going to convince the diehard
>naturopaths, or stop the spammers, and they probably annoy a lot of
>readers. That said, there are a lot of readers out there who are using
>newsgroups to look for information about their health, who don't have a
>scientific background, and to whom naturopath waffle sounds
>superficially convincing. I think that when someone posts specious,
>silly or misleading statements, the scientific community should respond
>with facts, logic and wit.

>I'd make a distinction here between posts from real people and spam
>messages sent automatically. No point responding to spam at all.

>Andy Fell

Andy:
	I would suggest NOT to respond to silly posts at all rather than responding
with facts, logic, and wits. I have follow your advice before only to be drawn
into a nightmarish discussion wioth somebody who finally asked "what the hell
you mena by 'antigen'?"
	Sorry this list is going down the drain . . .

			Omar O. Barriga