schistosoma

Omar O. Barriga barriga.2 at osu.edu
Fri May 30 15:24:01 EST 1997

In article <338D5FFE.13D3 at uia.ua.ac.be> tmoreels <tmoreels at uia.ua.ac.be> writes:
>Newsgroups: bionet.parasitology
>From: tmoreels <tmoreels at uia.ua.ac.be>
>Subject: schistosoma
>Sender: news at uia.ua.ac.be (News database)
>Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:52:46 GMT

>Is anything known about the clinical relevance of Schistosoma eggs found
>in the gutwall of infected patients ?  Any information will help.
>Thanks,
>Tom Moreels PhD. student
>Gastrointestinal Research Unit
>University of Antwerp U.I.A.
>tmoreels at uia.ua.ac.be

I believe they cause foci of mild limphocytic-macrophagic inflammation that
are rather transient. I always thought that this was because they are
eliminated from the tissues fairly soon and do not have the time to induce
the severe cell-mediated inflammation they produce in the liver. Am I right?
	Cheers
			Omar O. Barriga