Parasites, herbs and quacks

Andrew Fell ahfell at netmatters.co.uk
Thu May 15 18:53:35 EST 1997

I had a look at some of Dr Andersons material. Some of his statements
seem broadly accurate although very simplified.
(Apart from howlers like "parasites escape drugs by fleeing to different
organs" "The praziquantal's coming! Run for the spleen- its our only
chance!")
 Where he falls right off the cart is in wildly exagerrating the
incidence and infectivity of these infections, attributing almost every
vague, nebulous and self-resolving symptom to them, and then claiming
that these herbal cures eliminate these diseases.
 Mind you, Ross Anderson is pretty level headed compared to Dr Hulda
Clark, who states that all cancers and AIDS are caused by Fasciolopsis
buskii multiplying in the small intestine.
 I might start collecting some of this stuff, for a website
provisionally titled "QuackNet". If you have a favourite URL peddling
snakeoil send it to me. Then this list can get back to talking about
real parasites.

Re Joan Shields' comments: of course most of our drugs have and still do
come from plants. Personally, I think the whole appeal of "alternative
medicine" lies in having a practitioner who has time to talk to
patients, discuss their problems, and treat them 'holistically', while
most conventional GPs are tied to getting through as many patients per
hour as possible. GPs will tell you that a third to a half of the
patients they see are not particularly ill as much as in need of a chat.

Andy Fell