update

Steve J. Upton coccidia at ksu.edu
Mon May 12 15:54:21 EST 1997

I appreciate receiving additional documentation of parasites and
cancer.  There appears to be about 6 species correlated with cancer,
although only a few in humans.  I'll incorporate the input in my class
next year. I also appreciate receiving the reference from Robin
McFarlane for Int. J. Parasitol. 26, 1151-1168, 1996 on nutrition in
ruminants and how the animals can withstand nematode infections.

As an update to my earlier message, I received a fecal sample from the
individual that originally prompted my message on parasites, diet, and
cancer.  This person lives here in Kansas and (according to her story)
was diagnosed, based on fecal smears from a hospital, with
Cryptosporidium, Blastocystis, and Entamoeba histolytica.  Her
intestinal problems resulted in removal of a portion of her intestine,
although the exact cause of her intestinal problems was never totally
resolved (at least she didn't know anything).  Because she still has
intestinal distress (I wonder why), she recently went to someone who
performed a "muscle test" and she received an additional diagnosis of
Clonorchis sinensis, Schistosoma mansoni, Vampirolepis nana, Taenia sp.,
Strongyloides, hookworm, and Diphyllobothrium latum. She also received a
prescription for one of the expensive herbal treatments. I think she
could get rich selling her feces to Wards for microscope slides.

I found absolutely no parasite ova, cysts, oocysts, trophozoites, or
larvae in her feces, and I performed extensive wet mounts and
flotations; just a few Candida spores and some strange looking plant
debris. I decided it would probably be futile to perform a
sedimentation.  I don't know if she has ever been out of the country,
although I wrote her a letter telling her what I found and asking her if
she has traveled anywhere.

It's too bad that we have a whole series of people getting rich off of
the woes and hopes of others.