parasites,diet,cancer

Dr David I. Gibson D.Gibson at nhm.ac.uk
Thu May 8 05:57:17 EST 1997

Steve J. Upton wrote:

> It seems that I receive a phone call or e-mail message almost daily
> concerning parasites, cancer, and/or diet.  Therefore, I would like to
> direct the following message to the "novices" of the group.
>
> First, few parasites are correlated with cancer.  Schistosoma
> haematobium in humans is correlated with some bladder carcinomas.
> Spirocerca lupi in canids is thought to cause some esophageal sarcomas,
> and there is a somewhat higher incidence of bile duct carcinomas in
> asiatic countries, possibly due to opisthorcids.  Perhaps some senior
> members of the newsgroup can add one or two more examples, but overall
> don't count on a parasite causing your cancer.

The nematode Anisakis simplex has been linked to cancer of the gut.
Ishikura & Kikuchi (Eds) (1990)  Intestinal anisakiasis in Japan.
Springer-Verlag, Tokyo.

David Gibson
from
Dr David I. Gibson
Parasitic Worms  Division                         Tel. +44-(0)171-938-9485
Department of Zoology                               Fax. +44-(0)171-938-8754
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD
UK

Work e-mail: dig at nhm.ac.uk