parasites,diet,cancer

Mark Doherty mdoherty at pop.niaid.nih.gov
Thu May 8 11:03:29 EST 1997

In article <337137F8.3E2B at bcc.orst.edu>, doganb at bcc.orst.edu wrote:

> Steve J. Upton wrote:
>
> > Spirocerca lupi in canids is thought to cause some esophageal > sarcomas,
>
> There is a short write-up by William Campbell (Drew U.) in the last
> issue of Parasitology Today (vol.13(5), page 202) which mentions
> Spirocerca lupi causing large granulomas in dogs.   This and a few other
> cases are the only reports I've seen of cancer causing parasites, and
> all the others were in lab animals (none in humans).  Just thought you
> all might me interested.

There are plenty of parasites (and other infections, for that matter) that
cause granulomas, but a granuloma is an accumulation of inflammatory immune
cells.  It is not a cancer, nor in any way related to cancer.

The "oma" at the end which may have mislead you (as in granuloma and
carcinoma) is simply (if I can hazrd a guess) a derivation from the Greek
meaning "body".

Cheers, Mark