parasites,diet,cancer

Steve J. Upton coccidia at ksu.edu
Mon May 5 15:11:49 EST 1997

It seems that I receive a phone call or e-mail message almost daily
concerning parasites, cancer, and/or diet.  Therefore, I would like to
direct the following message to the "novices" of the group.

First, few parasites are correlated with cancer.  Schistosoma
haematobium in humans is correlated with some bladder carcinomas.
Spirocerca lupi in canids is thought to cause some esophageal sarcomas,
and there is a somewhat higher incidence of bile duct carcinomas in
asiatic countries, possibly due to opisthorcids.  Perhaps some senior
members of the newsgroup can add one or two more examples, but overall
don't count on a parasite causing your cancer.

Second, diet may make one feel better, and may even expel a few worms,
but overall diet is not going to cure most parasite infections.  See a
physician.