Tryps culture/propagation

Steve J. Upton coccidia at ksu.edu
Thu Jun 12 17:42:57 EST 1997

Alberto M. R. Davila wrote:

> We are studying the presence of hemoparasites in reptiles and fishes
> and would like to know about the culture/propagation methods
> for trypanosomes in case we have found some of them.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>                Alberto M. R. Davila
>                   EMBRAPA/CPAP
>     http://www.cenargen.embrapa.br/~davila

Alberto,

Went through my files and only have a few articles to help.  For fish,
try Jones & Woo, 1991, Parasitology, 103: 27-243 and perhaps Lewis &
Ball, Ann Trop Med Parasitol, 1981, 75: 533-538.  Try contacting Patrick
Woo or Sherwin Desser as they seem to be the experts both in fish and/or
amphibian trypanosome culture.  Although I found no references (in my
files) for reptile trypanosome cultivation, I did find some amphibian
stuff.  These include Martin & Desser, 1990, J. Protozool., 37: 199-206;
Martin & Desser, 1991, Parasitol. Res., 77: 18-26; and Reilly & Woo,
1982, Can. J. Zool., 60: 124-133.

Cheers,

S.J. Upton