sea urchins

Marcogliese,David [Montreal] David.Marcogliese at EC.GC.CA
Tue Jul 22 09:18:57 EST 1997

Jenn Kassie wrote:

One of the organisms that I'm told is prevalent in the area is the green
sea urchin _Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis_.  My preliminary research
has found that the nematode _Echinomermella matsi_ is a gonadal parasite
of this sea urchin.  My question, however, is whether the incidence of
this Nematode is restricted to Norway, as is implied in one of the
articles I've read.

Does anyone know if E.matsi is indeed present in S. droebachiensis of
the Passamaquoddy bay area of New Brunswick?

The nematode E. matsi has not been reported outside of Norway, and
certainly not in North America. However, an amoeba has been responsable
for mass die offs off sea urchins in Nova Scotia. See:

Jones, G. M. and R. E. Scheibling. 1985. Paramoeba sp. (Amoebida,
Paramoebidae) as the possible causative agent of sea urchin mass
mortality in Nova Scotia. J. Parasitol. 71: 559-565.

Also, you may wish to contact Dr. Mick Burt, Huntsman Marine Science
Centre, Brandy Cove Rd., St. Andrews, NB E0G 2X0. Mick has been teaching
a marine parasitology field course there since the last glaciation, and
they have examined just about everything coming out of Passamaquoddy
Bay. If anyone will know, he will.

Good luck. suggest you hunt them when the gonads are ripe for eating!

Dave M.

David J. Marcogliese

Environment Canada
Centre Saint-Laurent