Sea Urchin Parasites

Jenn Kassie jkassie at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jul 21 17:41:18 EST 1997

Hello,

I'm a fourth-year marine biology student at the University of Guelph,
and will be conducting an independent research project on a 2-week field
course in New Brunswick next month.  I would very much like to do my
work on a parasite-host relationship.

One of the organisms that I'm told is prevalent in the area is the green
sea urchin _Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis_.  My preliminary research
has found that the nematode _Echinomermella matsi_ is a gonadal parasite
of this sea urchin.  My question, however, is whether the incidence of
this Nematode is restricted to Norway, as is implied in one of the
articles I've read.

Does anyone know if E.matsi is indeed present in S. droebachiensis of
the Passamaquoddy bay area of New Brunswick?

If not, alternate suggestions for a parasite-host relationship reasearch
undertaking would be greatly appreciated.  Keep in mind that I've only
got a week to take samples/data, and that being able to easily catch the
host organism is a definite plus, i.e. big, fast, and hard-to-find fish
are out :).  I find most types of parasites (Phylum, endo-, ecto-, ...)
interesting.  Marcro more than micro, though...

Thanks for your e-mailed responses.
-Jenn Kassie
jkassie at uoguelph.ca

--
    *       Jenn Kassie         *      o<   / o     \//