history and parasites

Dr David I. Gibson D.Gibson at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 03:29:55 EST 1997

At 08:00 20/07/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Two items I hope that somebody can steer me towards.

> The second relates to techtonic plate movements and the theory of continental
>drift. I understand this was first proposed by a parasitologist who studied
parasites of fresh-water fish in South America and Australia. Can anybody
give me his name or a
>reference of this work? I'm trying to gather interesting parasitological
topics for use
>in a potential PBS series for the ASP, along the lines of 'Cosmos,' but for
parasites.
>One part would cover parasites in history, so if anyone cares to offer
their favorite
>historical parasite topic, then I'd be much intrigued and thankful.
>
>Cliff

You might take a look at Manter's work on Glaxias and fish parasite
zoogeorgaphy (1955, Exp. Parasit. 4, 62-86): he refers to earlier work by
Von Ihring, Crowcroft and others.  There have been several works which
subsequently link parasites and plate tectonics.

David Gibson

from
Dr David I. Gibson
Parasitic Worms  Division                         Tel. +44-(0)171-938-9485
Department of Zoology                               Fax. +44-(0)171-938-8754
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD
UK

Work e-mail: dig at nhm.ac.uk