Parasite longevity refs

A. Kimo Morris morrisk at bcc.orst.edu
Tue Apr 29 17:38:00 EST 1997

About a month ago, I posted a request for papers which demonstrated that
parasites have the capacity to outlive their hosts.  A few people sent
me the last names of a few authors and nothing else.  Without knowing
the approximate date or even the authors first initials, I'm afraid I
can't use the refs.  Can anyone help me?  Here are the names that were
given to me:

Gorard and Hersman
Warren et al.
Goddard and Jordan
Vermund et al.
Haris et al.
Hornstein et al.

I have spelled the names exactly as they were sent to me, so I don't
know if any are misspelled.  Does anyone have any leads on the papers
associated with these authors?  Can anyone else suggest papers?

So far, Read, C.P. (1967), J Parasit 53:1055-6 is the only ref I've been
able to find on this subject.

For my thesis, I have contructed a model which suggests possible
evolutionary pathways to the parasite and parasitoid modes of life.  I
require the papers to demonstrate that while the longevity of parasites
in nature is limited by the longevity of their hosts, some parasites are
"pre-programed" with the capacity to outlive their hosts.

Please e-mail me directly.  Thanks.

-- Kimo

A. Kimo Morris              |
Department of Entomology    | Office   - (541)737-2453
Oregon State University     | FAX      - (541)737-3643
Cordley Hall 2046           | Internet - morrisk at bcc.orst.edu
Corvallis,OR 97331-2907,USA | http://www.orst.edu/~morriaar