Ques:best detergent for crypto -Reply

Stephen Kayes SKAYES at USAMAIL.USOUTHAL.EDU
Thu Dec 5 12:28:36 EST 1996

Jim:

I don't know if what I am about to say will be useful for crypto work or not but I 'll pass it on for what its worth.  I
have worked with _Toxocara_ eggs and these have a very sticky surface coat.  To prevent them from sticking
to the sides of petri dishes, pipettes, or flasks, I routinely treat my lab equipment with Fisher's Dricote (I
believe the product is a borosilane compound).  This is done by rinsing each piece in capful of Dricote to 100
ml of water.  Rinse, and dry in the oven and its ready to go.  On a slightly different bent, I seem to remember
that there was a discussion in the Reagents and Methods section of the Molecular Biology Newsgroup,
discussing the use of a popular product known as Rain-X to coat gel plates for electrophoresis.  Truckers (and
myself) routinely use this product on the windshield of vehicles to keep rain from beading up on the glass.  It is
one of the most incredible products (especially for the price of   $3.00) I have ever encountered.  The product
should  (might) also work for protecting glassware from sticky parasite.  Maybe.

Have a good one.

Steve Kayes

>>> <wick at cris.com> 12/05/96 09:36am >>>
Tween-20 and Triton X-100 are often used to treat tubing, equipment, etc. to prevent crypto from sticking to
surfaces and to minimize crypto attaching  to debris in environmental test samples. My question is: does
anyone
have experience using other detergents? Have any studies been done comparing different types and
concentrations of detergents or combinations of detergents for the above purpose?

 Jim Wick

Company:	Molecular Biology Resources, Inc.
E-mail:		wick at cris.com
Phone:		414-871-7199
FAX:		414-871-1273
Snail Mail:	5520 W. Burleigh St.
		Milwaukee, WI 53210

"Don't precipitate more than you can resuspend"