Tinidazol (Tiniba) info sought (anti-amoebal)

Graham Clark graham.clark at lshtm.ac.uk
Tue Dec 3 05:55:56 EST 1996

Adam (adam at well.com) wrote:

>I am searching for information on
>Tinadazole (also known as Tiniba),
>which is an anti-amoebal drug (I need it to
>fight a 3yr blastocystis hominis infection).

Hi Adam,

Tinidazole is closely related to metronidazole which is more usually the
drug prescribed for Blastocystis. Metronidazole is commonly used in
the US for treating Giarida (as well as Entamoeba, Trichomonas and certain
bacterial) infections under the name Flagyl which your doctors should be
able to prescribe. Tinidazole IS available in Mexico.

Tinidazole (and ornidazole, furazolidone, co-trimoxazole, ketoconazole,
trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, among others) HAS been used to treat
Blastocystis but very few studies have been published and as with all
drugs it does not work in every case. Incidentally, as I'm sure you have
been told by others, Blastocystis is usually considered harmless or at worst
a cause of diarrhea. The side effects of the various drugs may be worse...

If you have a web browser you can find out more about metronidazole through
this page:

http://www.gsm.com/resources/cponline/

and tinidazole through these:

http://www.aidsnyc.org/pwahg/info/tini.html
http://www.avm.com.au/agtm/drugprofiles/tinidazole.html

There is a summary of the drug treatment of Blastocystis in a recent review
article that may be available at a medical or biology library near you:

Stenzel and Boreham (1996) Blastocystis revisited. Clinical Microbiology
Reviews vol. 9, pages 563-584

Hope this helps!

Graham Clark