Strongyloides ratti in mice?

Richard Speare Richard.Speare at jcu.edu.au
Mon Dec 2 09:25:44 EST 1996

> Does anyone know of any records of natural infections of mice with
> Strongyloides ratti?
>
> Carolyn Behm
> Senior Research Fellow (ARC)
> Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
> Faculty of Science
> Australian National University
> Canberra  ACT  0200  Australia

Dear Carolyn

I am aware of only one report in the literature of S. ratti as a natural
parasite of mice.  This is an obscure paper (of course, otherwise you
wouldn't be asking!):

Prokopic, J. and del Valle, M. 1966. Aporte de la helmintofauna de los
roedores en Cuba. Poeyana, Inst de Biol, Serie A No.30: 1-15.

118 rodents examined from Havana, Cuba.  Prevalence of S. ratti was 6/35
Ratts rattus, and 1/5 Mus musculus.

I do not have the original of the paper; so I do not know what taxonomic
details were provided. I suspect none.

There are no other reports of even Strongyloides sp. in mice as natural
infections.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rick Speare

Department of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
James Cook University
Townsville
AUSTRALIA

Phone:	-61-(0)77-225700