Giardia,B.hominis, other protozoan parasites

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:03:48 EST 1995

In article <44agg8$tm6 at news.manawatu.gen.nz> aroberts at manawatu.gen.nz (Anthony Roberts) writes:

>Several authors talk of "Maladsorption" from giardiasis do you know if
>this has any relationship (theoretical or real) to the development of
>pernicious anaemia in long term sufferers.

I do not know specifically, however, there are 2 phenomenae that are
well characterized which may offer clues, both of which are
physical.  In fulminating cases of giardiasis, much of the epithelium
can be covered by the flagellates which actually hold onto the
microvillar surfaces (as opposed to most other flagellates that
just hang out in the lumen).  The second physical phenomenon is
the tendency to invade the epithelium.  This usually only occurs
in the otherwise-compromised individual (immunocompromised or even
some evidence that it occurs when simultaneously infected with other
critters).
There's a good paper from the 80's in Gastroenterology... the authors
and title escape me.
Undoubtedly there are physiological and biochemical factors that
may be more relevant to your query.

>Any thoughts replies etc would be welcomed.

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062