General enquiry - cerebral malaria (cross posted to bionet.general)

Neal Crankshaw cranks at iafrica.com
Sat Sep 16 11:04:52 EST 1995

A cousin of mine has just made an recovery from cerebral malaria after having
been brought home from Mocambique in a coma, and apparently this is quite a
feat. My family, who were told that they should expect the worst, are
overjoyed, and are asking me for an explanation of the illness (being the only
family member with a degree in biochemistry). Well, rather than turn round and
say that my knowledge of cerebral malaria ends at the sharp part of the
mosquito (my only parasitology experience has been in Trypanosomiasis), I
throw myself at the mercy of the collective knowledge on this group.

I would appreciate a fair amount of detail, if you have the time, or a pointer
to an on-line source (no more university library these days).

Thanks in advance,
Neal