[Q] cold trap

Robert Greer bobg at teleport.com
Wed Sep 13 00:58:45 EST 1995

In article
<rose.486.3056EFC4 at alf1.ngate.uni-regensburg.de>,
   rose at alf1.ngate.uni-regensburg.de (Andreas Rose
       t3077) wrote:
>I study the host-finding of a blood-sucking bug
(Reduviidae - Triatominae).
>I want to collect odors from the headspace of a
sleeping person and see
>whether these are attractive in a behavioral
test.

>For the collection of the odors, I want to
construct a cold trap. I have a
>general idea of what I'll to do: lead the air
from the headspace first
>through a washbottle that is cooled using
ordinary ice. This will take out the
>humidity and hopefully leave some odors in the
air. Then I want to lead the
>air through a container that is even colder, or
maybe several containers. The
>whole process will take a whole night, that is
anything between 8 and 12 hours.

>I have the following questions: Has anybody done
something similar? What
>cooling agents are best  used for this (Dry ice
or mixtures of dry ice and
>alcohol or acetone - two possiblities I heard.
Liquid nitrogen?)?
<SNIP>