another defini post

derek a. zelmer zelmeda4 at WFU.EDU
Fri Mar 31 11:45:45 EST 1995

On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, Steve G. Kayes wrote:

> 	Derek's offer of using endosymbiont is not a good idea.  This
> word literally implies living within.  What about living attached
> outside.  Are barnacles parasites?

I offered endosymbiont specifically for organisms that live within
others, those that live attached external to other organisms would
obviously be ectosymbionts. Therefore barnacles attached to whales would
be ectosymbionts, and barnacles attached to inanimate objects would
be...barnacles.

			Derek A. Zelmer