Advertisements on the net

Soaring Bear bear at helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 15 17:55:11 EST 1995

In article <95031415580998 at lewis.umt.edu>,  <bi_vac at LEWIS.UMT.EDU> wrote:
>Is anyone else tired of receiving advertisements on their listservers?
>Personnally, I have enough parasitology and molluscan stuff to sort
>through on a daily basis to not have to feel like I'm wasting valuable
>time reading about obtaining a spouse from the Ukraine or hearing about
>how I too can make $50,000 by joining a "chain" posting - enough already!
>How do we stop this onslaught of wasted verbage? Any ideas would be
>appreciated.

Subjecting the writers of inappropriate posting to public
excoriation is not a good policy because the mistake may be
inadvertent and the follow-up postings only add further to the
irritation of all the other regular readers.   It is better to
reply to inappropriate posts personally or to mail a complaint
to the postmaster of the violators source node.
	In other words, it's better net-etiquitte to send the
violator 100's of messages than to send 100's of us this message.
	Just make sure the response is going personally
to the perpetrators box and not the whole group.

--
 topo-O      O-topo       URL http://copsg2.pharm.arizona.edu/~bear/top/top
5'**. :      : .***.   ___         __     Cyber-Chemist: cancer drug design