Steve Jacobson (sjacobs at maroon.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
: Could anyone out there help me. If this is the wrong newsgroup, I apoligize.
: The mold starts out with a pinkish color with a round shape (like little
: droplets). The shape then will change to become irregular. The mold then
: starts to grow and get darker (orange or brown). It takes on all kinds of
: shapes, but its favorite is round-like ameoba or protoplasm. The mold grows
: very large and spreads fast. It covers everything, especially porus items,
: like paper, wood, and fabric (also pottery, paint, and wood floors) When the
: mold gets ahold and spreads, it turns darker. Clorox does not seem to kill
: it-it sometimes lightens it a little (maybe one out of 10 cases). There is
: also a version of this mold that is gray or black.
Try posting to bionet.mycology That is where the moldy folks hang
out. Yo may have more than one thing. One almost sounds like a slime
mold. Check and see if the mold is made of tiny hairs (use a magnifying
glass). That will help in the identification.
Probably the best way to get rid of it is to dry out the house.
James F. Mahaffy e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu
Biology Department phone: 712 722-6279
Dordt College FAX 712 722-1198
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250