[Neuroscience] Re: Number of independent components

RSNorman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by r_s_norman from comcast.net)
Wed Apr 13 14:32:51 EST 2016

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:07:41 +0200, Laura Palacio
<laurapalacio94 from gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My name is Laura Palacio and I'm working on my bachelor thesis performing
>independent component analysis on some fMRI data using MELODIC FSL.
>
>I would like to ask some questions regarding the results of ICA. Usually I
>obtain about 50 components per subject but this number varies across
>subjects and after changing some preprocessing steps as well.
>
>For instance, I obtained a larger number of components (ten more than
>before) after applying intensity normalization and slice timing correction
>to the data. My question is what does the number of ICs depend on? Why do
>some patients have more or less components? If they moved less during the
>scan, does this mean they will have less components or more?
>
>I would really appreciate if someone could help me figure it out. It would
>be very useful in order to understand the differences between obtaining a
>larger or smaller number of components from ICA.
>
>Thank you very much,
>Laura

I wish you luck with your quest but, sadly, it has been many years
since there has been a large assortment of neurobiologists here that
could offer you help.  My own interests in crustacean nervous systems
doesn't count.

Anybody?