[Neuroscience] Re: Help - visual learning

Glen M. Sizemore via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by gmsizemore2 from yahoo.com)
Thu Mar 22 10:38:24 EST 2007

"Ted" <t.pawloff from bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:1174567893.382330.200370 from p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
> Hi there, I am looking for a reference (and if poss an illustration of
> the set-up) to an experiment, might have been Hubel and Weisel but I
> don't remember for sure, on kittens in a restricted visual environment
> - a cylinder with vertical stripes. One was walking around, the other
> sat in a basket attached to the mobile one, so both got the same
> visual stimuli. Only the mobile's kitten visual system learned to
> discriminate the vertical stripes. Can anyone help? Many thanks!
> Ted

The experiment was done by Held & Hines (sp?) in the '50s or '60s. There
were, I think three "visual tests" that were used to assess the effects. A
quick check of Google didn't turn the paper up, but you should be able to
find it with some effort.