[Neuroscience] Re: Q on vestibular system: Acceleration or velocity?

r norman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by r_s_norman from _comcast.net)
Tue Mar 6 20:50:46 EST 2007

However "coding" depends on how you interpret the data.

A phasic receptor to position really responds to velocity, a phasic
receptor to velocity really  responds to acceleration.  Also, as was
already pointed out, head rotations are very brief -- a sudden
movement followed by stillness.  If the semicircular canals respond to
acceleration, they give a brief burst with frequency proportional to
acceleration and the stop (negative accelerations are not signaled.)
Therefore the number of action potentials in the burst is the integral
of acceleration with time, the velocity.

So how do you interpret the data?