[Neuroscience] Re: Minimizing stimulus artifacts

Christian Wilms via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by usenet02 from out-of-phase.de)
Thu Mar 1 09:34:36 EST 2007

r norman <r_s_norman from _comcast.net> wrote:

> Are these well shielded from each other?  I have sometimes found that a
> piece of grounded aluminum foil placed between the electrodes can help
> greatly.

You have peaked my curiousity - so far I have just tried to minimize my
stimulus artifact by varying the stimulation polarity (positive going to
negative going). I've found that for a given isolator there always
appears to be a polarity that produces the "cleanest" response when
stimulating presynaptic fibers.

How would you shield the electrodes from another? Would you place the
aluminum foil between the two or wrap it around the stimulation
electrode all the way down to the shoulder?

And while I'm at it: another question that has often arisen in our lab
is if it makes sense to ground the stimuls isolator on a separate bath
electrode. From my understanding I don't see a difference between using
the same bath electrode I use for the headstage, but I might be missing
something here.

All the best,

Christian